Health Tip #7: Weight Loss
The most common reasons for difficulty losing fat include low energy and motivation, inadequate weight training in addition to cardiovascular exercise, poor diet (low fat, low protein, high sugar, high carbohydrates), skipping meals, hormonal imbalances, dehydration, and chronic mental stress causing depression, insomnia or anxiety.
Naturopathic medicine encompasses many modalities to help decrease cortisol, aid digestion and improve overall liver function. Eliminating food sensitivities can also increase metabolism by decreasing gastrointestinal inflammation.
Specific blood or saliva testing is necessary to see if you have any nutrient deficiencies like iron, vitamin D, vitamin B12, magnesium, zinc or calcium. Other testing may include an essential fatty acid profile, inflammatory markers, fasting blood sugar, triglycerides, and hormone levels such as cortisol and thyroid. Naturopathic doctors use these results to determine the best supplementation for each individual to help your body work optimally and feel its best.
Many of us feel we are so busy that we eat mindlessly while driving, talking on the phone, watching TV, or in front of the computer at our desk at work. Preparing and eating food should be a positive experience that we look forward to, not one that causes stress because we have delayed eating and are so hungry we end up making poor choices and binging on unhealthy food.
Avoid smoking, pesticides, processed and non-organic food
* Each day record exercise, sleep, and everything you eat and drink
* If you tend to eat when you are not hungry, record why you chose to eat (bored, angry, sad, with friends) so that you can recognize these distracters and therefore change your behaviour
* Organize your time so you stick to priorities, including time to prepare healthy food, exercise, and doing something you enjoy
* If you tend to overeat, try eating a meal on a smaller plate or only take out the actual “serving size” of a food item, such as 1/2 cup of cereal, instead of filling the bowl.
* Ask a friend/relative to lose weight with you so that it becomes a more enjoyable process that you look forward to sharing.
For more health tips sign up for my blog updates at www.vitalforcenaturopathic.ca/blog