As of proclamation of the Naturopathy Act, 2007 on July 1st, 2015, Naturopathic Doctors have access to order blood tests through Ontario Laboratories. This includes 194 lab tests on blood, stool, urine, saliva, hair, tissue/discharge and breath, as well as perform 16 tests in their office:
- Ascorbic acid (ascorbate) Vitamin C.
- Blood Group – ABO and RhD.
- BTA Bioterrain Assessment.
- Free Fatty acids.
- Hemoglobin – A1C.
- Human Chorionic Gonadotropin – pregnancy test.
- Indican – indicator of intestinal toxemia and overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria..
- Koenigsberg – adrenal stress test.
- Live blood cell analysis.
- Mononuclear Heterophile Antibodies (monospot).
- Oxidative testing.
- Rapid Strep Test.
- Routine urinalysis by dipstick.
- Sulkowitch – calcium test.
- Vaginal pH.
Tests are still not covered by OHIP, although there is a subset of public health tests that N.D.’s may be able to order free of charge for patients in the near future.
Common blood tests analyzed include red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, blood sugar, cholesterol, Vitamin/Mineral status (iron, Vitamin B12, magnesium, Vitamin D levels), organ panels (liver, kidney, thyroid) and hormone panels (estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA).
Urine is tested for bacteria, blood, glucose, protein, ascorbic acid and kidney function.
Additional testing is done for pH, food intolerances, environmental sensitivities, heavy metals, and parasites.