Naturopathic medicine is a distinct system of primary healthcare that blends modern scientific knowledge with traditional and natural forms of healing. Integrating standard medical diagnosis, Naturopathic Doctors work to address the root cause of illness and prevent disease, rather than treating or suppressing symptoms.
Dr. Hornyak has 8 years of post-secondary education, as Naturopathic Doctors are highly educated and are the only regulated health professionals in the field of natural medicine in Ontario.
Dr. Hornyak works in collaboration with your medical doctor as well as chiropractors, physiotherapists, osteopaths, and registered massage therapists. Dr. Hornyak values the strengths and healthcare contributions of other health care practitioners.
The Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
- First Do No Harm – Naturopathic Doctors follow three guidelines to avoid harming the patient:
- Identify and Treat the Causes – Naturopathic Doctors seek to identify and to remove the underlying causes of illness, rather than to eliminate or suppress symptoms.
- Methods and medicines, which minimize the risk of harmful side effects, using the least, force necessary to diagnose and treat.
- Avoid, when possible, the harmful suppressing of symptoms.
- Acknowledge, respect and work with the individual’s self-healing process.
- Doctor as Teacher – Naturopathic Doctors share information and knowledge with their patients and encourage self-responsibility for health.
- Treat the Whole Person – Naturopathic Doctors treat each patient by taking into account individual physical, mental, spiritual, emotional, genetic, environmental and social factors.
- Emphasize Prevention – Naturopathic Doctors accentuate prevention of disease by assessing risk factors, heredity and susceptibility and making appropriate interventions in partnership with their patients.
- Support the Healing Power of the Body – Naturopathic Doctors act to identify and remove obstacles to healing and recovery, and to facilitate and increase our inherent self-healing process.
Naturopathic Doctor’s Oath
I dedicate myself to the service of humanity as a practitioner of the art and science of naturopathic medicine.
Be precept, education and example, I will assist and encourage others to strengthen their health, reduce risks for disease, and preserve the health of our plant for ourselves and future generations. I will continually endeavour to improve my abilities. I will conduct my life and practice of naturopathic medicine with integrity and freedom from prejudice. I will keep confident what should not be divulged.
I will honour the principles of naturopathic medicine:
- First, to do no harm.
- To co-operate with the healing powers of nature.
- To address the fundamental causes of disease.
- To heal the whole person through individualized treatment.
- To teach the principles of healthy living and preventive medicine.
With my whole heart, before these witnesses, as a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine, I pledge to remain true to this oath.