If you wake up with a headache, or get one in the middle of the day, it could be a result of stress, tight muscles or restless sleep.
Often the location of this headache will be the sides of your head or the back of your head/neck.
If you are at home, try these tips before reaching for drugs:
1) Hot Foot Bath
– sit on the side of your bathtub with your feet inside
– fill the bath with comfortably hot water just past your ankles
– add 1/2 cup Epsom salts
– add a few drops of lavender essential oil
– place an icepack with a cloth wrapped around it on the back of your neck
– close your eyes and take slow deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth
– relax for 10-15 minutes
– refill the bath water to keep comfortably hot
– the hot water will stimulate circulation away from your head to relieve throbbing
– in a small bottle add a few ounces of olive oil and a few drops of peppermint essential oil
– apply a small amount to your fingertips and massage your temples, behind your ears and the back of your head/neck
– use small circular movements and be careful to avoid your eyes
– apply slight pressure with your fingertips to your scalp and rub all over
– breathe with slow, deep breaths
3) Deep Breathing
– lie down on your bed or sofa with your spine straight, with the blinds/curtains closed so it is comfortably dark
– close your eyes and relax your body
– focus your attention on your breathing
– take slow, deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth
– when you inhale, you should see and feel your lower abdomen rising, rather than your chest
– this is a very effective method of breathing to reduce pain, help you fall asleep, and decrease anxiety or anger.
To see how I can help you check out my services page!