How many bowel movements do you have a day? Did you know that is it common to have one bowel movement every other day? Did you also know that it is not normal to have less than 2 bowel movements per day?
*To keep your body healthy, your goal should be to have two “normal” bowel movements per day which is long, formed stool that is easy to pass, and does not contain any blood or mucous.
What can make constipation worse?
- Stress: anxiety, depression, and general stress can decrease your bowel movements, or even cause diarrhea
- Lack of Exercise
- Diet: low fibre and protein, along with high fat and sugar
- Food Sensitivities: gluten intolerance, dairy food
- Dehydration: drinking less than 8 cups of water per day
- Coffee, Tea or Alcohol: for every one cup you drink, you need to replenish your body with 2 cups of water
- Ignoring the Urge
- Pharmaceutical Drugs: pain killers, laxative over-use, anti-depressants, antacids, anti-histamines
- Medical Conditions: hypothyroidism, depression, irritable bowel
What effects on the body does constipation have?
- Heat: it can make you feel warmer
- Weight Gain: it can prevent your body from losing fat
- Mood: it can make you feel more irritable
- Pain: it can cause cramping and pain in your lower abdomen
- Fatigue: it can contribute to having low energy
- Headaches: it can make headaches more frequent and intense
- Gastrointestinal: it can cause uncomfortable bloating and gas
- Dermatitis: it can make skin problems, especially eczema and acne worse